Thursday, December 1, 2011

"One Day"

Have you ever watched a movie that just stayed with you?  My precious husband had a horrible day at work yesterday.  I cooked him dinner and has it almost ready by the time he got home at around 8:30 pm.  (He is supposed to get off work at 5:30.)  He was so sweet to suggest that we watch a romantic movie together instead of the usual action-packed movies he usually makes me watch we watch together.  He picked it.  He said he thought I would like it.

I have this weird quirk.  Immediately before I watch a new movie, I have to first watch the trailer.

He looked for the trailer on YouTube but couldn't get it to open.  So, we decided to watch it without first seeing the trailer.  It has Anne Hathaway as the leading lady, so I was able to function without the trailer.  I would have still preferred seeing the trailer, but anyway.

We started the movie.  It's called "One Day."  Have you seen it?  It is literally the saddest, most heart-wrenching film I've seen in my entire life.  I mean that as literally as you could possible interpret it.  Saddest.  Movie.  Ever.

It starts on July 15, 1988.  In real life, I had not yet been born.  It shows how two characters become acquainted.  Every year on July 15th, we check back in on those two characters.  They are best friends.  They love each other, need each other, and are so terrible in love with each other.  Did I mention that the male star of this film is Jim Sturgess?  Oh.  Well, the leading male character is played by Jim Sturgess.  Him & Anne Hathaway love each other but they keep missing each other.  She's in love with him...his interest is elsewhere.  Then he is in love with her, but she is dating someone else.  FINALLY they hit each other.  They love each other at the same time and it's as if the stars align and everything is perfect!  To be honest, I was starting to lose interest in the plot line.  I was tiring of their little hit-and-miss dance routine.  They decide to be together.  They love each other.  They get married.  They are so incredibly happy together.  It's so obvious they were meant to be.  Anne decides she wants to have a baby with the man she loves.  He is excited.  They start trying.  She can't get pregnant... they squabble one morning.  She dies.

It was heart-wrenching.  I'm sure it sounds like your normal love story....nothing out of the ordinary.  I just really became invested in their characters.  I could relate to them...my husband and I also did a very long hit-and-miss dance.  Not for years or anything...for about 6-7 months.  I'm actually in the middle of telling my readers all about our love story.  You can check it out here if you'd like.  Anyway, so I could relate to them.  He was on drugs pretty bad, and so was I at one time.  So Anne left him.  Been there.  They finally realized how perfect they were for each other.  Been there.  They got married and loved each other with everything in them.  I am there.

Then she dies.  I mean, how terrible.  I used to be able to watch any kind of movie...if it was funny, I would laugh.  It was sad, I would cry.  If it was about bad people, I would get mad.  If it was about martial arts, I would cheer on one of the teams.  I can watch just about anything and be satisfied and content.

This movie?  For the last 30 minutes of the movie, I was sobbing on the sofa.  My husband was pretty choked up, himself.  When it went off, I was curled up in a ball releasing gut wrenching sobs.  I was barely able to breath.  When I became invested in their characters and when I started relating to them on so many levels, my husband and I became them in my mind.  When she died....all I could think of was Mr. Robinson dying a tragic death from a car accident.  (She was actually hit by a bus while she was riding her bike home.)

I was up for another two hours...crying off and on...I couldn't handle it.  I can no longer watch movies where one of the spouses die.  I can't handle it.  I have a spouse now.  Why do I want to think about that?  I don't.  I will never watch another spouse-dying movie again.  I love my husband and I adore him with every ounce of my soul.  I can't deal with idea of him dying and leaving me so soon.  I waited on him for too long.  Life is so cruel sometimes.  I can't do it.  I can't think about those things.

The movie is still with me.  I've felt sad all day...I've been at work for about three hours.  I haven't been happy all day.  I feel so heavy.

Do not watch that movie if you are emotional.  Maybe it doesn't help that I'm on my period.  But seriously, it's the saddest movie I've ever seen.

I think one of the reasons it was so sad is that I was not expecting such an ending.  I was not prepared for such sadness.  I wasn't even expecting them to end up together!  Sure, love stories get sad.  It's part of the package.  I wasn't expecting it to be heart-cracking sad.  Maybe it's also sad because it's something I can relate to on so many levels.  That could also be it.

One good thing?  At the end of it all, it is still a love story.  Even if I was up half the night crying & even if I still have tears in my eyes as I write this post.

On second thought...watch it.  How many movies are out there that actually touch our souls and spirits?

Have you seen it?  Did you want to see it?  I hope I didn't ruin it for you.  If you saw it, what was your opinion?              


No comments: