I almost didn't link up today. If you follow my blog on Twitter, you might have seen that I'm experiencing a bit of writers block. Or bloggers-block? You know what I'm saying. Well, I've been e-mailing some ladies lately about possibly doing the Color Run in October. It's a 5K. It looks like a lot of fun because people throw this paint-type-stuff at you and when you're done with the run, you look like a rainbow. Doesn't that sound fun?!
I absolutely want to do this run, for several reasons.
(1) It would be an opportunity for me to meet possibly THREE of my favorite bloggers!
(2) It looks like a lot of fun.
(3) It's something I've never done before.
(4) It would be great motivation & accountability for me to get my butt into SHAPE, and into shape NOW.
However, it's a little terrifying to me, also for several reasons.
(1) I haven't really ran since I played softball in the 10th grade and my coach made me.
(2) I hate running.
(3) I'm not fast.
(4) I have short legs.
(5) When I played softball, I suffered from a knee injury. I needed surgery, but I didn't want it so I decided to quite softball. I wasn't very good anyway, to be honest. Ever since then, I've obviously gotten heavier & heavier. Running is extremely painful as far as my knees go. It hurt to run in the first place, hence the need for surgery. The injury has had time to relax and heal a little, and I don't need surgery to manage day-to-day life so I'm fine. It's just the extra weight I'm carrying around makes running that much more painful. It kills my knees. Getting into shape (as far as running goes) is a lot harder when it's physically PAINFUL.
I have been trying to get into shape lately, and I'm on the right track, fa sho. I haven't really been running, mostly just walking peppered with the occasional 2-minute sprint. If I want to do this run (which I do!) I'll have to really push myself. Basically, I'm going to have to wear the brace on my knee (hate that thing), take some pain killers, suck it up, run, and then take some anti-inflammatory medication.
I'm going to work out today at 5 and make myself run. Motivation required.