Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Oh How Pinteresting {it must be to run}




I almost didn't link up today.  If you follow my blog on Twitter, you might have seen that I'm experiencing a bit of writers block.  Or bloggers-block?  You know what I'm saying.  Well, I've been e-mailing some ladies lately about possibly doing the Color Run in October.  It's a 5K.  It looks like a lot of fun because people throw this paint-type-stuff at you and when you're done with the run, you look like a rainbow.  Doesn't that sound fun?!

I absolutely want to do this run, for several reasons. 
(1) It would be an opportunity for me to meet possibly THREE of my favorite bloggers! 
(2) It looks like a lot of fun.
(3)  It's something I've never done before.
(4)  It would be great motivation & accountability for me to get my butt into SHAPE, and into shape NOW. 

  However, it's a little terrifying to me, also for several reasons.
(1) I haven't really ran since I played softball in the 10th grade and my coach made me.
(2) I hate running.
(3) I'm not fast.
(4) I have short legs.
(5)  When I played softball, I suffered from a knee injury.  I needed surgery, but I didn't want it so I decided to quite softball.  I wasn't very good anyway, to be honest.  Ever since then, I've obviously gotten heavier & heavier.  Running is extremely painful as far as my knees go.  It hurt to run in the first place, hence the need for surgery.  The injury has had time to relax and heal a little, and I don't need surgery to manage day-to-day life so I'm fine.  It's just the extra weight I'm carrying around makes running that much more painful.  It kills my knees.  Getting into shape (as far as running goes) is a lot harder when it's physically PAINFUL.    

I have been trying to get into shape lately, and I'm on the right track, fa sho.  I haven't really been running, mostly just walking peppered with the occasional 2-minute sprint.  If I want to do this run (which I do!) I'll have to really push myself.  Basically, I'm going to have to wear the brace on my knee (hate that thing), take some pain killers, suck it up, run, and then take some anti-inflammatory medication.

I'm going to work out today at 5 and make myself run.  Motivation required.

Source: thecolorrun.com via Erin on Pinterest

 

This website has some great running plans for all experience levels!





This is so incredibly true!  After a work-out, I suddenly get motivated to clean house.  haha  It's crazy!



So...do you have any work-out or running advice for this ol' gal?  :)  I'd love to hear it!  Thanks for reading!


Photobucket

7 comments:

Home on Poplar said...

Oh.My.Gosh! You are in SC, right? Which means you would do the Charlotte race? You totally should! I have talked a few of my college girlfriends who also don't run to run it with me. There is NO excuse why we can't run 3 miles by October! We can do it!!!!!!

Val said...

I JUST heard about this color run too, and now I want to do it! I'd have to go to Chicago for it since it's not in my city, but anyway! It looks really awesome. I loathe running too. My husband and I had big dreams of becoming runners and we were doing well for a while there but then got off track. It makes my back hurt, so therefore I hate doing it. I'm hoping to try to get back into it though!

Erin said...

Which race are you thinking about doing?! Sadly there are NONE close to me-- but I've been thinking about roadtripping to the Nashville one to do it!!

Pamela said...

Hello! :) Tamara (T times 3) texted me earlier & said that you were doing The Color Run in Charlotte.! So I wanted to stop by & then I read this :) I am determined to do this too!! We can do it! I don't really like running right now, but my husband & I walked/jogged last night. I was proud that I could actually jog for a few minutes, & not fall over dead, ha! I'm def not fast either. I just want to be able to get to the point where I enjoy it, not worry about speed. We can do this!! :)

Unknown said...

good luck with this, girl!! great inspirational pins :)

Happy Wednesday!

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

NO NO there is no possibly that you might be doing it, WOMAN YOU ARE doing it lol :) I am so excited and cant wait we are going to have a blast with this one!!!! YAY!!!!!!! I've been meaning to blog about the race since I found out about it, so I will probably be doing that tonight as well!!!! Im so excited that we will be able to do it together.

Courtney B said...

Do it!! First off it sounds so dang fun! And you'd get to meet bloggers?? Lucky!
Second... I ran a 10k in October and it is so empowering! It's the best feeling knowing that if you want or need to get up and run, you can!
I am so excited about this! Wish I lived there so I could do it too!