Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Walk-In Closet




My husband I are blessed in the sense that we have somewhat stumbled upon a HUGE house!  We are living in the house my parents built in 1998.  It's enormous and we have plenty of room to grow.  However, I've already lived there.  I lived in a house that my mom decorated, so it's been really difficult for me to think outside the box she created.  I'm running into problems such as...

Books go here.
No, the phone book goes in this drawer.
That's not where cups and glasses go.
This room is a tv room - not an office.

Do you understand why this has been so hard?  I am all about thinking outside the box.  Heck, I live outside the box.  I love everything odd and quirky and weird and different!  So why I am having such a hard time with this is beyond me!  

The closet in the Master Bedroom is amazing.  It's huge.  Hubby has one side, I have the other side, and we still have room for all of our suitcases and a huge gun safe.  But our bedroom just feels so TIGHT.  I hate it.  Beside the master bedroom is a a teeny-tiny bathroom.  Beside the teeny-tiny bathroom is what I have always called "The Den."  My parents used it as an extra TV room and had my dad's PlayStation hooked up in there.  Here's the basic floor plan.




Last night, we were laying in bed and I told my husband that we need to just get rid of the den and make our bedroom HUGE.  He said that would be a great idea.  OR I could just take over the den and make it a walk-in closet!  Famous last words, folks.  My brain immediately went into over drive!  I gave him the Husband of the Year award.  I kissed him.  I was so excited!  He drifted off to dream land and I laid in bed, wide away, for hours.  Day-dreaming and drooling over what I will soon make a reality.  I am SO excited!! It's an idea I never would have thought up on my own because, in my mind, that room is an extra TV room.  Do we use it?  Nope.  Will I now?  Ab-so-lutely.  

SO, I've been on Pinterest.  There are tons of amazing ideas there for walk-in closets.  They key will be finding ideas that I can use in the space I have.  Also, we have no money so we won't be calling in a construction crew to change the build or structure of the house.

Okay, enough yappin'!  Are you ready to see the pins?!?!

You are creating a dressing room for only one person... you. Let your imagination run wild and create the best possible room that is not only practical but suits your personality perfectly.

Wall Color = White

Source: houzz.com via Kristina on Pinterest

Source: houzz.com via Kristina on Pinterest

Can I pretty please frame my wedding dress & have it displayed in my dream closet?!


I'll also take a dress form and the biggest mirror ever, please.  :)


A wire closet system would probably be my most affordable option.  

Source: google.com via Dana on Pinterest

After doing a ton of research, I think that this is the system that would best suit my room.  It's $99 and I would need two of them.  Click Here to see it on the ClosetMaid website.  





That will take up two of the four walls.  Then another wall will be used for the mirror & dress form.  And The fourth wall for my framed wedding dress or accessory storage?  Can't forget accessory storage!





I also have a black cedar hope chest that I would move into my dressing room.  I would want a chair.  There is a built-in bookshelf type nook thing that I could use for shoe storage.  It current houses books, while I'm SO excited about moving into the living room!  My mom kept books in that little nook, so I put all of our books there.  However, books in the living room = a million times more me!  I'll of course want a chair or a bench in my dressing room.  

I've seen where some people create a vanity and make-up table in their dressing rooms.  I don't think I'll do that.  I make such a mess & our bathroom is huge.  I don't really need my own space for just makeup.  That would completely CLEAN OUT our bathroom.  Haha.  Besides,  I enjoy sharing space with my husband.  I just need more closet space.  We are good on bathroom space.  

SO, what do you think?!  Anybody have any pins or pointers they'd like to share?  Or just compliments?  You know I just looooooove a good compliment.  

Oh.  & I have a brand-new Pinterest board for my closet!  Check it out if you'd like!  

Oh, & I know that I already did a Pin-Party link up today.  I know.  I'm doing ANOTHER one.  This is a post full of pins.  You can't stop me from linking up.  ;)

Photobucket

8 comments:

Bree said...

I love all those walk in closet ideas :) I also am loving your new blog look :)

Mckenzie Jean said...

loooove those ideas!
especially the second one, so beautiful!!

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

I seriously LOVE the idea of displaying your wedding dress on the wall in some type of clean casing beautiful, I want a big dream wall in closet / dressing room to please, have your hubby come talk to mine.

lilmoomoo said...

OH MY WORD.
I am loving that first closet photo! For real, my heart is going pitter patter over it!
Too funny that you are also on a mission to do a walk in closet, because I am too! (sort of)
We have 3 bedrooms, and obviously only really use one, so I've decided to make one of them into my dressing room/closet room!!!
SO. I will be checking out your closet board.. ;)
Those accessory storage ideas are awesome too!! You've got my wheels a turnin'.

P.S. I tagged you in my post tomorrow (thursday). It's just a little questions game that I was tagged in, and then I had to pick 5 of my faves to tag back!! I grabbed your new button to link back to your bloggy! Hope you don't mind!

Kimberly said...

Oh! To have a walk-in closet like any one of these! WOW! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for taking time to be an encouragement! Having fun looking around your beautiful blog. And CONGRATULATIONS on getting married! :)

Blessings,
K

Cindy Swanson said...

I have to admit I'm envying you right now--I dream of a walk-in closet/dressingroom! That's awesome...make that dream come true!

I enjoyed visiting your blog!

Cindy at Notes in the Key of Life

Kristina said...

I love the baskets. I am always looking for an easy way to hang my scarves!

Karrie said...

So let me get this straight, you are living in the home you grew up in?? And your parents are no longer there? How cool is that!?! My parents and us (hubby and I) always joke about us taking their house over. I've never known anyone that's actually done it! Would love a photo tour! And of course play by play updates as you work on your closet!