Friday, April 27, 2012

Packing Heat

My husband left on Wednesday afternoon and will be coming back tonight.  He's had to go upstate a few times for job training, but this was the last time.  I've missed him terrible each time (Military Wives...go ahead and start playing the world's smallest violin concert) and am so glad that the job-training that requires overnight trips is behind us!  =)  

I've showed y'all our house.  It's huge.  And when the hubby leaves, it feels so empty and scary.  I have a secret to feeling safe though....   


Don't pick on me because it's pink.  It's still a gun.  It's still a .32 (which mean's that it's strong enough to kill with).  


My gun is small enough to easily conceal.  In South Carolina it is legal to carry a concealed weapon if  the gun is registered, you are 21 years of age or older, you've taken the course and have your Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP), and follow the rules you learn in the CWP course.  


I know that gun-control is an issue for many people.  I actually have a very close friend who is adamantly against guns and doesn't like me having a gun of my own.  My honest opinion?  Guns are great to have - especially for women.  It makes me feel safe when my husband is away, it makes me feel safe when I'm traveling even a few miles down the road, it makes the people around me feel safe, and it makes me smart.  (Not to say that people who don't carry guns aren't smart.)

The law in South Carolina says that I can't just shoot somebody.  If someone breaks into our house, unarmed, and I shoot him....I'll go to jail.  You know what?  I'll take my chances.  If someone breaks into our house, he or she has a death wish.  Just saying.  If someone breaks into our house, I'm not going to ask the criminal if he or she is armed and I'm certainly not going to trust their answer, regardless of what it is.  If someone breaks down our door or busts through a window to get inside our home in the middle of the night,  I'm going to boldly assume that they aren't dropping by for a visit or a spot of tea.  They will either kill me or I will kill them.  Those are the options.  Because, let's face it, I'm a pretty decent shot.  ;)   If I miss, I'm going to keep shooting.  If I run out of bullets, I have more in my night side table.  Like I said, one of us will die.

Some Questions...

What kind of gun is it?  It's a .32 - small enough to hide in my purse or on my body & large enough to kill.

Where do I keep it?  My gun is either beside my side of the bed, in the glove box of my car, or in my purse.

What do I do with the gun when people are visiting our house, especially those with children?  We rarely have visitors - it's even more rare for us to have child visitors.  But, my gun is always on "safety" when I'm not using it.  I keep the gun out of site if anyone is coming over.

Does Mr. Robinson have a gun?  He does!  He has much bigger guns that would do a heck of a lot more damage than my little gun.  However, his big boy guns are kept in the gun safe.  He also has a collector's gun that's a .22 that may or may not kill somebody.

Does the gun kick a lot?  Ehh...kind of.  I've shot smoother guns and if I bought another gun, I'd probably buy a revolver.  It kicks enough to where it messes with my accuracy, but I'm still accurate enough.  For example, if I aimed for the heart I may not hit the heart, but I'll still hit the chest...so I'd probably hit a vital organ.  It would slow the criminal down enough to let me a get a few more shots in.  

Where did you find a pink gun?  I didn't.  It was a Christmas gift from my parents right before I turned 21.  The gun was black and my daddy bought pink grips for the gun.  But pink guns are pretty easy to find.       

Funny how turning off the "safety"  feature makes me feel safe! ;)



I'm a Republican - gasp.  I know, I know.  That's a big surprise.  
I believe that I have a right to carry a gun on my body and I'm thankful to live in a state that allows it!  =)  Any questions, ask away.  

Do you pack heat?

Coo Coo Kachoo, 
Mrs. Robinson

13 comments:

Meg @ Mr.C and Me said...

super interesting post! and i do not pack heat. i've shot a gun like once..at 4-H camp lol

Andy said...

AAH. J and I looked at guns at Cabella's and he said they didn't make them pink. I am insisting on buying this now. I've wanted a gun for a while now. Even just to scare the intruders, since aiming is not my specialty.

Andy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

I hate guns, but my husband was in the army so we have the argument all the time about whether he should have one. I agree that we all have a right to own a gun, they just scare the crap out of me and I don't really want one in my house. Honestly, I feel very VERY safe in my home, even alone, so right now it's not an issue. I just can't imagine owning a gun AND having a child...and so far my husband hasn't pushed the issue, although I know he wants one. : )

Mrs. Robinson said...

Yeah...well, my opinion is that I'd rather have my gun and not need it than to need it and not have it. =)

RadiantKristen said...

My dad is a lifetime member of the NRA, hunts, and teaches firearm safety. It's safe to say that I am pro-responsible gun ownership ;-). I think it is great how many women are becoming empowered to find ways to protect themselves, good for you for taking the steps to have a concealed weapons permit!

Amie said...

I'm a Democrat and so is my husband but we're going to learn to shoot this summer, practice with different weapons, and then pick out guns to buy and get concealed weapons permits :) I think guns are only stupid if you don't know how to use them and you don't take care of them (ie leaving them out around kids).

Ashley said...

As long as you are a responsible gun owner, then you have the right to have one. :) I,personally, wouldn't mind having a small one for protection but am quite conflicted because I have young children. Not saying I wouldn't be safe but more like it just scares me to even think of having one in the same house. Does that make sense? I get a little paranoid. :)

Karrie said...

I love this post!
I grew up around guns and safety was drilled into my head :)My dad also gifted me with a gun, it's a .22 revolver, I would prefer one with a clip so I am not fumbling to fill it if someone does come in to the home. Safety is the only way with guns and the sooner others realize that, the sooner states like Illinois (where I am from) will allow concealed carry!!

God bless!

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

The hubby has loads of guns and keeps encouraging me to get one of my own for Concealed carry but I just cant do it. He's taking the CWP here in the next week or two with some guys for work.

Desiree said...

i am sooo farrrr behindddd on my blog reading.

but kudos to you for packing heat.. I've thought about getting my permit, etc. but I dont know that i'd be able to shoot someone if I pulled a gun on them... lol. So i still hesitate a little.

I JUST got your latest blog comment.. i hadn't checked my email in so long and it was covered with SPAM! I've gotten a little behind on my reading, but I'm trying to keep up with it.. I keep re-reading over ruth trying to understand it.. I see how important finding a church is..

i'm just not so sure how to go about it.. like, there are SO many denominations here, and so few non-denominational churches... how do I know which denomination I should be a part of? How do I know that I believe what they believe? lol. its questions like that that make me feel like i'm crazy and over thinking things.

Erin said...

Good for you! I don't think I'd be confident enough to have one, but maybe one day. I know my hubby likes the idea of getting one.

I love that yours is pink!!!

Khanh Hồ said...

keep a gun in your home when no husband beside a correct thing. So you will be assured and not afraid of theft and intrusion bad person. But it's best to keep the gun safe to avoid danger to your loved ones. You can learn more about biometric gun safe.