Thursday, March 1, 2012

{Guest Post} Amie from Amie's Tales



Good Morning!  To kick off my week of guest posters, I have Amie from Amie's Tales.  She is sharing a bit of her love story with y'all, and I have to admit I'm a little jealous of how she spent her first few weeks as an engaged lady.  ;)  Anyway, Amie is very sweet and we are just getting to know each other!  Enjoy!  
...


Hey everyone! The lovely Mrs. Robinson is off on her road trip, and I'm honored to be writing my very first guest blog for her! I'm Amie from Amie's Tales.  Like Mrs. Robinson, I am a young newlywed figuring out marriage.

When I was a little girl, I wanted to be a writer. I would tell people that I didn't want to get married until I was "like 30," and I would have kids after that.
Well, you know that phrase "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans?" That becomes more and more apparent with every year I'm alive.

My husband and I have actually gone to school together since I was 9 and he was 10. The first time we hung out was four years later. We were both snowboarding through a local parks and rec program, and while everyone else was in lessons, I worked up the nerve to ask if he wanted to snowboard with me. He did, and he was very patient as I proceeded to embarrass myself and get stuck in powder repeatedly.

We hung out occasionally over the next  two years, and dated other people. However, by the time I turned 16 he at my house about 4 days a week. He was a total gentleman, too. We'd lay on my bed and listen to music, or go on walks, or watch movies, but that was all.  We finally became "official" our senior year of high school. We had a wonderful year and before we knew it I was moving 7 hours away to go to college. It was hard, but absence really does make the heart grow fonder. By the end of January I moved out of the dorms and we were moving into our first place. It was a tiny mother-in-law unit, but we loved it and we loved each other.

A few months later, I had been bitten by the wedding bug. I would drool over wedding pictures online, and lurk on The Knot constantly. I knew I wanted to be with my boyfriend forever. He was the only person I could picture being the father of my children. He was kind, honest, responsible, and strong yet gentle. 

He was more hesitant. He loved me, and liked how things were. To ease his mind I suggested we read through some premarital counseling questions together. 90% of our answers were identical, and we came to agreements we were both happy within the areas we had differed. I could see it dawn on him that we really were compatible, even more than we had thought!

Not too long after that we left on an 8 week long backpacking trip. About 5 weeks into it we were in Rome and after buying a 2 euro ring in front of me in town that night, he crawled into our tent, laid next to me, and asked me to marry him. It was 9/6/09. To say I was ecstatic is an understatement. I was over the moon. We spent our first few weeks of being engaged in Rome, Venice, and Paris. I gleefully sent out e-cards asking my best friends to be bridesmaids as a way of breaking the news. They were thrilled. Our parents were happy, and I was busy trying to talk my fiance into the idea of getting married in 2011 rather than a year or two after that.

We finally agreed to get married on 9/10/11. After returning home and talking with our families, and spending a few months planning, we decided to move the date up. Not until everything was in full swing did I realize my student financial aid info was due very soon. My parents make too much for me to qualify for financial aid, but they have too many expenses to help with my tuition. As a married independent, I could qualify for aid. After discussing it with our immediate families, we decided to get legally married three months before our wedding.

On 6/5/10, shortly before my 19th birthday, our parents sat on the back deck at my parents' house. We were surrounded by flowers and love. As cheesy as that sounds, I could feel it coursing through the air. My mom is ordained, so she officiated. We all celebrated and then it was back to life, and wedding planning. On 9/5/10 we got married in my in laws' 2 acre yard with one hundred some people. The sun shone, tears were shed, and it was a wonderful day.

Marriage isn't easy. It's a job, just like any relationship. It requires work, love, patience, and compromise. The biggest thing I have learned from my time as a newlywed is that communication is vital. My husband I realized we were fighting and all of our fights could be traced back to simple miscommunication. Since then, we try to be very specific and clear, and make sure the other hears us when we're discussing important matters. It's hard, but I wouldn't trade being a young bride for anything :)


...
How 'bout that?!  We almost had the same wedding date {if they would have stuck with .09.10.11.}  I totally understand not wanting to wait.  When you know, you know.  And love is a beautiful thing!  I hope that all of you enjoyed her sweet, sweet love story as much as I did!  Amie is a first time guest-blogger and I hope you'll go show her and her blog some love!  Have a great day!  


Photobucket

3 comments:

Amie said...

Thanks hon! I linked back to you on my blog as well :) Have a great vacation!

♥ ♥ Just a Girl in Love w/ a Soldier ♥ ♥ said...

Beautiful story!!!!

Meg @ Mr.C and Me said...

fun! thanks for sharing!